Operator Jailed Six Years In England

We ran a story in our last issue about the owner of a restaurant in northern England on trial for manslaughter after a customer with a severe peanut allergy died from severe anaphylactic shock from eating curry made at the restaurant. The operator of Indian Garden in Easingwold was convicted Monday of gross negligence manslaughter and sentenced to six years in jail after the jury was told he swapped almond powder in recipes for cheaper groundnut mix, containing peanuts, despite warnings.

The prosecution alleged the operator, who owned six restaurants in York and North Yorkshire, was almost £300,000 in debt and cut costs by using the cheaper ingredient and by employing untrained, illegal workers.

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

- Advertisement -

TRENDING NOW

RELATED CONTENT

Cooking, Product Demos Among Highlights of Upcoming Virtual Trade Show

Esteemed chefs and foodservice industry leaders from the U.K. will partake in a vNEXT virtual event on March 17. The online trade show—hosted by specification platform provider Specifi (whose parent…

Read More...
Holiday wreath

The FER Team Wishes You a Safe and Happy Holiday

Very best wishes for a safe and happy holiday season and a prosperous year ahead.

Read More...

Chicago Closes Indoor Dining, Toronto Extends Outdoor Season

Two major North American cities are finding that outdoor dining may be here for a while.

Read More...