Foodservice Equipment Reports

A Grill, A Metal Wire Brush And The $1.3 Million Jury Award

Here’s a sharp little reminder on why it’s so important for operators to only use professionally made foodservice equipment and supplies in their kitchens.

Chef Daniel Boulud’s Manhattan restaurant, db Bistro Moderne, was just ordered to pay $1.3 million to a diner who nearly died after eating a metal wire in his coq au vin dinner last year. A jury in New York awarded diner and plaintiff Barry Brett $300,000 plus an addition $1 million as a “warning” to the restaurant and other eateries to prevent the situation from happening again.

In February 2015, Brett was dining at the Midtown restaurant when he swallowed a metal bristle that had come from a wire cleaning brush used to clean the grill. The brush had been purchased at a local hardware store rather than from a restaurant supplier.

According to The New York Post, db Bisto Moderne’s executive chef Kendall Linhart testified he had no explanation as to how the wire ended up in the chicken dish. “You can’t always see objects in the food.”

The restaurant’s attorney indicated they’ll fight the verdict.

Related Articles

Smallwares & Tabletop Awards

SPECIAL REPORT: 2012 NRA Kitchen Innovations Award Recipients

Smallwares & Tabletop: New & Cool, Practical & Pretty